Hand Forged D2 Tool Steel Cleaver
Because our knives are forged by hand, they take a considerable amount of time to make.
If you would like to order this style of knife, please contact us, and we will put you on a waiting list and get back to you with an estimated time of delivery.
This custom meat cleaver is hand-forged in Timmonsville, South Carolina, by Reed Moore, using traditional hand-forging techniques combined with an exceptionally high quality modern blade steel. This is a unique cleaver because it is forged from D2 tool steel, a highly wear resistant and tough steel, which contains 1.6% carbon. D2 isn't commonly used as a material for cleavers because it is difficult to work and expensive; however, I believe it produces a superior tool (especially when forged) that will hold its edge many times longer than any other commercially available cleaver. This knife has the following features:
- 6" Hand-forged D2, semi-stainless high carbon steel blade
- Total length: 9 5/8"
- Blade thickness: 1/4"
- Weight: Approx. 16 oz.
- Exceptionally sharp and durable
- Full tang handle with hand-carved, western North Carolina locust handle
- Blade edge is hardened and tempered to approx. 60 Rockwell C hardness
- Blade is differentially tempered twice, producing a tougher blade with a higher hardness edge than a typical single temper knife of the same composition
- Blade is cryogenically frozen between tempers, increasing edge-holding ability, toughness, and stain-resistance
- Signed with the maker's signature "R" touchmark
- Includes a handmade maple blade protector
- Lifetime warranty against materials and workmanship
Please note that this listing is for a custom cleaver, which will be made to order. A range of options are available for customization including handle material, blade rocker, and weight. This listing is for an approximately 1 lb. cleaver. This style is available up to 2.5 lbs. Please contact us at email@example.com for pricing information.